So for whatever reason, and this seriously makes me a bit angry. My photo uploaded refuses to work the way it has worked with all my other blog posts that involve photos from the exact same camera, with the exact same photo size and everything. There are tons of photos I would love to attach to this blog about Eltham but these will have to do.
Eltham is the name of the community we did our dental clinic at during week two in Ochios Rios, Jamaica. I was given the honor of being assistant to the lovely Milena who trusted me enough to assist her knowing I had no background in dental care and usually my eyes are closed when I go to the dentist. Milena worked with me the first day and we made a system. Since I obviously had no background in assisting a dentist, I obviously did not know what all the instruments were called or what they were used for. So for about 2 hours Milena went through what each piece was, whether it was used for extractions, white fillings or black fillings. Then she went as far as to give names that I could easily remember to each item. Now before I explain more of our system let me tell you that John the other dentist had NO FAITH the first day, he made a bet that I would forget everything by the end of the day.... pfff he didnt know Ashley Renee Perry at the time obviously. He even bet Milena 10 bucks on day one! So of course I have to prove him wrong. Our system was easy, blue thing, yellow thing, pink thing, long needle short needle. White filling sheets, silver cuff, round tool, flatt tool, mirror, burr with the funny end.... sharpe burr... Milena won her 10 bucks by the way. John soon found out my super memory capabilities (I wish they came in handy when I am doing math.) Regardless I did better then I thought I would at assisting Milena. My main concer was that I would be more of a burden to her rather then a help. Since it was my job to be on the go and run and get what she needed my worst fear was failing and then making the process that much longer for the patients waiting. Overall there were only about 2 times were she needed something that I had no idea what it was (because we didnt go over it and make a cute little name for it). I even assisted John for a bit and I thin he was please at how well I worked.

Way to go, sister!
ReplyDelete