Saturday, October 16, 2010

Education Team



So Part of my job was to help prevent the nasty extractions and filling we were seeing from happening. So one day I was able to go to one of my favorite places in Jamaica, Steer Town. This is a community that has been through a lot and has honestly shown nothing but love and support (except for a few individuals) toward us volunteers.

If you know me at all you know how much I LOVE children, other peoples children. I have some kind of polar atraction to kids and the education team was my soft spot. Only because I was able to spend my entire day with kids. 

We spent all of Friday October 8th in Steer Town primary school. Jamie and I went around and taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders about teeth and the importance of brishing, flossing, how to do those things as well as some cute songs to remember how to do it! 

We were there almost the entire day so we were able to spend breaks with the kids and oh boy is that an experience. First of all they all wan to touch you and play with your hair, they all say "miss ashley" and they want all of my attention which I am more then willing to give them except that there is like 100 of them to just one of me.

One little boy really caught my heart, his name was Oshane. He asked me where "miss Ellen" was and at first I thought he must mean one of the teachers or the principal women that was showing us around. But he was actually remembering that I was with a women named Ellen (an amazing woman) that he had meet last week while we were in Adelphi. We had spent one day helping out steer town and Ellen had become close to this little boy. He knew that I was with her and therefore was asking me where she was even though sh had returned home by then. Once I realized who he was and who he was referring too I was so happy and I clung to him all day. Even more so then the 50 kids that literally were clinging to me. 

After helping out in the schools we were able to help the steer town group clean up and then wrap up the equipment. While waiting for the bus that arrived about 2 hours late, we hung out with the same kids. They were so excited to hang out and play with us it was so humbling. These kids just want someone to hang out with, someone to play tag with, someone to be a kid with them and let them know its ok to be a kid and be silly. So that's what I tried to give them. Education team was an amazing experience I feel like i learned more then i taught. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Current Map

See the Maps tab above for my other Maps


more...