Sunday, August 15, 2010

Your Choıce of Drınk Must Match the Weather?

By now there is really nothing that surprises me in Turkey. I am so used to things just being "Turkish" and I tend to go with the flow, sometimes I try the new "Turkish" thing and other times I just except it and politly back away. One of the things I have tried and to my surprise continue to (subconciously) part take in. Is when the wheather is unbarably hot outside, when there is a humidity level higher in poercentage then the actaul temperature, drink hot çay (tea). Or in my case Kaeve (Coffee). I finally started to really ponder this and wonder what the heck started this trend and why is it so common? I dont think its because people love love love the taste of tea since afterall its just plain old black tea with sugar. I can make iced tea if I wanted to but there is something about serving tea in the turkish tea glasses adding a cube of suger and stiring it in. Then sitting in 100 degree weather sipping my tea or coffee and sweating out all H2O in my body.

I did the one thing I do best when stuck with a question that I dont know the answer to... I googled it.

This is what I came up with;
People who drink hot drinks in hot weather do so to enhance their metabolism. If your metabolism can be enhanced via hot drinks you are cooler in the long run since your body wont have to burn the energy needed to enhance your metablisim its self.

Another reason and the more obvious one is that it promotes sweating without too much effort from your body and therefore you can cool off easier again without losing much energy from yourself.

Here is a science type answer that I prefer to just copy and past the link its pretty interesting so read it if you are not convinced by what I said earlier. Science Answer

I do and I dont think this "drinking hot drinks will inevitably cool you down" this works. One reason is that I have been doing it for 2 months now (I have not stopped for reason unknown to me other then I am addicted to coffee and prefer it hot) I do sweat when I drink my morning cup of joe but its not pleasent or refreshing at all. First it comes to me in waves of heat then waves of sweat. Usually I shower in the mornings and therefore wait till after my coffee to do so. As the days have gotten hotter and hotter I have learned to shower more and more frequently souly to wash that sticky sweat off me and the sea water (dont even get me started on the effects of sea water on mosquito bites....eh!) When I was telling me mom about how hot it is here and how much water I lose in a day... she comments; " I thought you liked the sun?" well yes duh mom I love the sun, I love laying on the beach and reading my books and enjoying all there is to do and see here in the SUN! its the Humidity that I have a problem with... so needless to say Central Oregon bring on the dry heat PLEASE! Home in 10 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Current Map

See the Maps tab above for my other Maps


more...