Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Morocco

On the ferry to Morocco! We watched Arthurs Christmas it was so loud!
Wow, I don't know how to start this blog post other then wow. I was prepared for a culture shock, I was prepared for people to hassel me but you could never have prepared me enough. The taxi drivers flock to you like pigeons, the difference us that they aren't scared when you try to kick them or stomp them in order to shoo them away. They continue to come up to you and squawk at you about cheap safe rides. We immediatly met a nice guy who showed us to the bus station and helped us with buying a ticket but he got to be scary after a bit. Not like we thought he was going to hurt us but he repeated himself a lot and after we tried to depart from him he wouldn't bug off.

He kept repeating to us where a "great" place for couscous was, and mint tea for "cheap." He kept showing us places we were not interested in like this sketch Internet cafe. I kept looking behind me thinking his friends were going to come along because hecwas persistant about showing us about. He was really helpful in that he showed us places to eat and not eat dye to bad water. He gave us advice like don't eat lettuce or tomatoes due to the water in them. He kept saying to hold onto our bags tight, and to firmly say NO! He told us how to say no thank you in Arabic but it didn't work no matter how many times we said it.

We ventured into a cafe and had the best mint tea I have ever had. Real mint leaves right in the hit water. Then while trying to get to a safe place to eat I saw the saddest thing. A small thin little boy came up to Quinn he couldn't have been older then 6 and started begging. He was saying how hungry he was, and if we had any food to give him. It was sad, I wanted to give him the apple I had but I knew it wouldn't solve the problem. He was probably being forced to beg by his parents. It made me realize how lucky I am and how terrible their circumstances are here in Tanger.

We had arrived in Tanger at like 1pm and our bus to Chefchauen didn't leave Tull 8pm hence the large amount of time we had in Tanger. We decided to sit and people watch at which point 2 teenage kids came up and started talking to us in a language we didn't understand. They (like everyone else) wouldn't leave us alone. They were saying how hungry they were and harrassing us for food when out of no where this guy came up and started telling them to shove off and leave us alone. It was the nicest think anyone had done thus far (not counting Akbar showing us about).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Current Map

See the Maps tab above for my other Maps


more...